Royce Lovett + Your Living Room = A memorable and meaningful conversation on issues of color + community in America
Thank you for expressing an interest in hosting a Living Room Concert with Royce Lovett! We have a limited number of concerts we can help fund thanks to the generous support of a grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation (through the Community Foundation of North Florida) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (through the Florida Humanities Council).
In order to honor the goals of this grant funding, we’ve outlined our expectations of concert hosts in addition to the support that we can offer. Please review the details below and let us know if you’d like to move forward in hosting a concert.
Here’s the basic framework of a Living Room Concert:
• Timeframe: 2 ½ – 3 hours
• Physical space: Comfortable seating options for guests (the floor is fine too for those who don’t mind), space for Royce and his equipment with electrical outlets nearby
• Guest list: Ask guests to sign in/check off their names and email addresses
• Food/beverage: Either you provide or ask guests to bring something (see below) – totally up to you, it’s your party!
As a host, we ask the following of you:
• Invite a racially and ideologically diverse group of people to attend a concert in your home – we ask for a minimum of 20 guests in attendance (and highly recommend over-inviting to account for last-minute cancellations and no-shows in order to achieve the minimum attendance). You are in charge of invitations, attendance confirmations, reminders, directions to your home, parking instructions, food/beverage requests, etc. (If you’d like to open your event to the public with an Eventbrite or Facebook event, just let us know and we’ll give you a hand.)
• Determine whether you will provide refreshments for your guests or ask them to bring something to share, and communicate this with them in advance. This is your choice. Any expenses you incur are at your discretion and not reimbursable.
• Provide a comfortable indoor space to accommodate both your guests and Royce and his equipment.
• After the event, provide us with an attendance list with names and email addresses so we can report numbers to our grantors and send your guests occasional Local Color updates (they can unsubscribe at any time).
The Village Square agrees to do the following for concert hosts:
• Work with you and Royce to determine an agreeable concert date and time.
• Pay Royce’s performance fee.
• Have a Village Square representative attend your concert for support, assistance, etc. when available.
• Inform you if an unavoidable schedule conflict arises and Royce needs to reschedule. We hope this doesn’t happen, but Royce is a rising star with contractual agreements with his record label, which takes priority if a conflict comes up (consequence of working with such a talented and in-demand musician!)
Questions? Ready to schedule your concert? Contact Christine.
The Local Color Team
(Click on the name to email us)